30 March 2009

Retroactive Insertion and a Little Extra

I've fallen behind on posting the pages on here, so I'm just going to catch up with that. As always, should be doing schoolwork instead...I'll blame that for why I've forgotten to post here. Never mind that I keep my dA account updated...

I added a couple pages between current pages 2 and 3, that set things up a little better. The page numbers from now on will have these pages included (so apparently there are no 8 and 9 pages)







New pages 3 and 4




Heterochromia: Page 3
So, it's a new page inserted into the beginning. I hope the penultimate panel (or group of panels) makes sense--her hand it supposed to be scanned, but I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with the effect yet. May be changed yet, if I think of something better.

Anyone know how I might write a "nod" sound effect in French? "Signe de la tĂȘte" is a bit too long for my bubble.

Heterochromia: Page 4
Finally posted these two pages that I've wanted to add in. I felt like there wasn't enough definition to the setting...but then now that I think about it, they've already moved out of this room by the next page. So it goes. This is the one that really set me back, though--who wouldn't be intimidated by drawing all those rocks? Actually, what intimidated me more was wrestling with perspective (even though it seems rather simple in this picture;; ) and designing the setting in general. I spent all day working on this on New Year's Eve. Thank goodness the toning was relatively simple to do.

Heterochromia: Page 10
No long ramble for this one, because it's late/early (1:20am) and this page has been a long time in coming, from start to finish--reflecting on the whole process would be hard. That said... (onto the long ramble)
Before this, I had only once been able to draw Tilamere as I wanted her to look--that she came out so well on this page is a little miracle, that has continued onto the next pages by some celestial grace. This is an unusual page layout for me. I am rarely able to pull off an unbordered panel that satisfies me. But, with Tilamere's introduction, I just had to make a page layout that would suit her personality; thus, the shoujo-esq flowery headshot.
It took me a while to figure out precisely how I wanted to do the flowers. None of the screentones or manga brushes available to me quite fit the job. I saw a certain page of Acid Monday with an incredible flowery backdrop, but when I asked, Lucid said that the tone was available in the program she uses, not for download. So then I went for plan B: find a good flower picture, make it into a screentone. After a bit of searching and trial and error, I found a useful flower stock that I was able to use. Desaturated it, played with the brightness/contrast, used the cutout filter, then replaced each "cutout level" with a tone pattern of the same brightness. Clever, non?
...actually, that turned out to be one of the longer rambles.

Heterochromia: Page 11
This one has been production a long time... Inks have been done for months, but I just haven't had time to tone it. Trying to get back into the same style of toning was tough; I think I captured it, but if it seems inconsistent, that's why. I really struggled to tone this page in a balanced way. For all that struggle, I think I'm pretty happy with the result.
Since it has been so long since it was drawn (I'm fairly confident this page was done before even pages 3 and 4), I don't really have much to say about it.

No comments: